Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mass in Walnut Grove

My family and I attended the Laura Ingalls Wilder pageant in Walnut Grove. So prior to the show we attended Saturday evening Mass in Walnut Grove. The church was a newer style church. I would guess it might have been built in the late 70s early 80s. I forgot to look for a cornerstone. The atmosphere inside was one of quiet reverence. The tabernacle was located in the middle. I was glad to see this as I really like the tabernacle to be there as opposed to off to the left of the sanctuary.

The Deacon was sitting in the front putting the finishing touches on his homily. All in all, this was shaping up to be a great Mass and then....out came the cantors...with their guitars. This always makes me groan because I am not a big fan of electric guitars in church....I did not like it when I was a Lutheran either! This is my own personal preference though.

In all fairness, the guitars were used appropriately, that is to say, that they played normal approved music and were not obnoxiously loud. For the most part they were respectful of the Mass and the Eucharist. One of the guitarist cantors did go up to receive Jesus with the guitar still strapped to him...it looked really awkward and I think he almost nailed the priest in the head with the handle when he turned.

The church was about half full for this service. There were to altar servers who sat in the first pew during the parts of Mass where their services were not required.

I did notice that the they used glass chalices and patens. This seems to be really common in the churches of our diocese. I am not sure why. The Body of Christ was received in the hand. It seemed that many people did not bow before receiving Jesus. I've noticed this in several churches we have visited this summer, I wonder if this practice is disappearing. Also, bowing during the Creed seems to be disappearing as well.

All in all, it was a good Mass, even with the guitars.
Dave

No comments: