Thursday, December 03, 2009

DEC 3: Memorial of St. Francis Xavier


Saint Francis Xavier was born on April 7, 1506 in Spanish Navarre. He attended the University of Paris. While in Paris Xavier met St. Ignatius Loyola. They, along with 5 other men took the famous vow of Montmartre on Aug. 15, 1534 and became the founding members of the Society of Jesus.

After his studies Xavier and his companions left Paris and went to Venice where he spent time attending to the sick in hospitals. Xavier was ordained a priest in 1537.

When the Society was recognized by the Pope in 1538 Xavier was sent to Goa, Indoa where he Evangelized and aided the sick. Over the next ten years Xavier traveled the area converting tens of thousands to Christianity. He visited the Paravas at the tip of India, Comorin, Tuticorin , Malacca, the Moluccas near New Guinea Morotai near the Philippines, and Japan.

In 1551 Inda was set up as a province by St. Ignatius and Xavier became its provincial.

In 1552 Xavier took ill and died on the Island of Sancian near the coast of China December 2, 1552. He was canonized in 1622 and proclaimed patron of all foreign missions by Pope Pius X.

Great Saint Francis, well beloved and full of charity, in union with you I reverently adore the Divine Majesty. I give thanks to God for the singular gifts of grace bestowed on you in life and of glory after death, and I beg of you, with all the affection of my heart, by your powerful intercession, obtain for me the grace to live a holy life and die a holy death. I beg you to obtain for me {mention your petition}. But if what I ask is not for the glory of God and for my well-being, obtain for me, I beseech you, what will more certainly attain these ends. Amen.

_______
Sources:
Saints & Angels Catholic.org
Catholic Encyclopedia
SQPN Saints

No comments: