Monday, July 16, 2018

My First Latin Mass

This past Saturday morning, I attended my first Latin Mass.  It was a low Mass.  Our new pastor has been offering two low masses per week since he arrived.  Counting the priest and the server there were about 7 people there.

Mass went about the way I expected based on what I have read about the Latin Mass online.  I was a bit surprised about how fast it went.  Mass took about 30 minutes, which is not unusual as far as daily Mass goes, however, it sure seemed like it was going at light speed.

Takeaways from my Mass Experience

1) I need to change my mindset when attending the Latin Mass.   In the Novus Ordo Mass there is a great deal of responses and singing that the people attending the Mass do.  In the Latin Mass (at least the low Mass) most of those responses still happen, but they are between the priest and the server.  This leaves the people attending Mass to focus more internally on prayer and on Jesus Christ.  It is just a different focus.  Not bad, just different.

2) After only one time at a Latin Mass, I am 100% convinced that the most appropriate way to receive the Body of Christ is on my knees, in font of the altar, with the priest placing Him on my tongue. In the 3 seconds it took for this to happen, I felt that I was briefly transported to heaven.  This was, for me, the high point of the whole experience. 

3) I need to read the readings ahead of time.  During Mass the readings are said in rapid fire Latin. 

Any Disappointments?

Yeah, there was no chant.  I love chant.


No comments: