Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mass in Slayton MN.

My family and I were camping near Slayton, MN this weekend so we attended Sunday morning Mass at St. Ann's in Slayton. It was, I have to say a very beautiful and reverent Mass celebrating the solemnity of the Birth of John the Baptist. There were two seminarians and three servers. The priest chanted the opening prayer. I really love it when priests chant.

In his homily, Father talked about how John the Baptist's job was to point to Jesus. He remarked that much of the artwork depicting him shows him actually pointing, not to himself but to Jesus. He also told us that John was considered to have been without sin just as Mary was. This was news to me. I had never heard that before.

The priest again chanted the opening of the Liturgy of the Eucharist and said Eucharistic Prayer #1 (my personal favorite). They used incense. The Mass was wonderful.

Since we plan to camp near Slayton a lot this summer it is a safe bet that we will be returning to St. Ann's in the future.

No comments: