Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Child's Science Class

Today my child came home and told us that their science topic today was evolution. I have no problem with this and am also impressed that his teacher tried to include some religious discussion. Christian tells me that the class was divided into two groups. The teacher talked about evolution and another person talked about religion. During the course of the religious discussion the instructor announced that Jesus is the only human being without sin. My son said,"What about the Immaculate Conception?" The instructor said that the Immaculate Conception applied to Jesus not Mary. When Christian told her that was not correct she apparently stifled him by telling him "It applies to Jesus and that's that."

First of all, I am very proud of my son for knowing what the Immaculate Conception is and for standing up for his understanding of the truth.

Second of all, I am not one of those people who believe that religion should be removed from school. As a matter of fact, I think too much of it has been removed from schools, however, the people who are teaching about it should know what they are talking about. A topic that I believe I will mention to his teacher at conference time.

For those unsure the Immaculate Conception says that the Blessed Virgin Mary was through the grace of God preserved exempt from all stain of original sin (see the Constitution Ineffabilis Deus for more information).

This teaching of the Catholic church is often confused with the virgin birth. In reality thought they are two different things.

2 comments:

Sweet Mary Beth said...

It really is pretty impressive that Christian 1) knew the definition of the Immaculate Conception, and 2) had the courage to stand up to his teacher; most adult Catholics wouldn't do that!

However, it is also pretty cool that the teacher allowed the discussion to take place

Dave Johnson said...

I agree, which is why I am not going to get upset with the teacher for presenting incorrect information. I would not want to discourage him from including religion in his future discussions, however, I will mention that the instructor he chose was wrong on the Immaculate Conception.