Sunday, April 06, 2008

PARISH MISSION Day 1: The Bible

Well, as I stated before I did not really know what to expect when I went to our parish mission tonight. I went expecting the worst and came home pleasantly surprised and looking forward to day two. First I need to mention that this was not a Mass. The majority of the of the night was taken up my Fr. Mike of the Redemptorist Missionaries. He preached about 40 minutes about the bible and its role in Catholic life.

One of the things that struck me as I listened was his comment that we need to live our lives based on the teaching of the scripture and not bend scripture to fit our own ideas of how life should be led. In my opinion that is a very important distinction. How often do people seek to justify their own behaviors by quoting only a single line of scripture? The bible is something that we need to take in its entirety along with the Traditions of the Church. We need to use these things to shape the way we liveour lives.

The mission had wonderful music. The choir was excellent, and there was a small horn section that accompanied them. The organ was wonderful. I'd love to hear more of that organ at Mass.

Tomorrow's symbol is the Crucifix.

No comments: